The Galawati Kebabs Story !
Well, travelling and hunt for food gave many tongue-boggling taste on my palate which I would remember forever in my life.
The taste vibes are high and worth remembering and I always try such unique dishes, when I back to my home. So as I could share the taste of such great dishes to my family and friends. So this time the dish which I added in my recipe book and it also gave me a story to share is “Galawati Kebabs”.
TNF-Pedia on Galawati Kebab’s:
Kebab is one of the traditional non-vegetarian dish which was originated in Middle East and now been served in all parts of the world with different variants. Kebab is a very broad term which has not just variants in the ingredients but also style of cooking.
Kebab can be made of meat of lamb or goat, Chicken and even fish, and it is been cooked on earthen skewer over fire, grilled or even pan fried.
Talking about Galawati Kebab, it was one of the greatest innovation made in Lucknow for the Nawab’s of Lucknow.
Kebabs were the a common dish in the platter of Nawab’s during 13 century where it was been enjoyed in meals with Naan. But during those days till 16th century the Kebab’s were more chewy and hard due to its style of preparation.
Then after during 17th Century the Nawab Asad-ud-Daula came into power who was so fond of Kebab’s that he used to ask the Kahansamas (chef) to cook Kebab’s with a new variants everyday.
The Khansamas use to explore and try new variants of Kebabs with different varieties of aromatic spices, herbs and flowers.
And it was then when the Nawab became old and was not possible for him to chewy the food but still his love for Kebab was on to the top. So then Khanamas invented this legendary dish which was not needed to be chewed but it had same richness of flavour and the taste of Kebab “The Galawati Kebab”
Galouti means soft which melts in mouth, so Galawati Kebab a innovation made for the toothless Kebab which has the same richness of Kebab’s but it was so soft that it melts in mouth.
Originally Galouti Kebab was been prepared with meat of lamb not beef with more than 150 exotic spices and pan fried with Ghee in a same of patties.
Lets do it ! :
Galawati Kebab Recipe
- Mutton: 1 Kg
- Raw Papaya: 50-75 Gm (the heat of the fruit will help the meat to cook fast and will also make it tender)
- Star Anise: 3-4 pc
- Black Cardamom: 2 pc
- Green Cardamom: 3-4 pc
- Mace(Javitri): 4 blades
- Nutmeg: 2 pc
- Bay leaf: 2 pc
- Cloves(Laung) : 6-7
- Fennel Seeds: 1 tbl spoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tbl spoon
- Cinnamon: 10 gm
- Red Chillies: 3-4
- Black Pepper Seeds: 10 gm
- Pandanus/Kewra Jal(Water) : 20 ml(as per aroma you like)
- Rose Water: 20 ml
- Ghee/Clarified butter: 1/2 kg
- Onions: 3 big size
- Garlic: 20 cloves
- Ginger: 2 tbl spoon
- Green Chillies: 4-5 pc
- Green Coriander: 20 Gm
- Lemons: 1 pc
- Bengal Gram Soaked overnight: 1 cup
The Meat Grinding Process:
- Meat: Mince meat(Keema) in a traditional Sil Batta or Mixer grinder .
- Marinate the minced meat with grated raw papaya and keep it aside for 1 hour.
- Grind the soaked bengal gram to make it a paste
The Masala/Spicies Grinding:
- Take all the spices and ground them in a mixer grinder to make it as a fine powder
- Take ginger and Garlic and grind them to make a fine paste.
- Chop the onions and deep fry the onions in Ghee/Clarified Butter till it becomes crisp, it will give a smoky flavour and will add crispiness to the kebab’s
- Chop the green coriander and green chillies.
The Marination Process:
- Take the marinated minced meat, now add all the powder spices and mixer it well
- Now add the ginger and garlic paste
- Add on the fried onions, chopped green chillies and green coriander
- Now add the lemon juice of 1 lemon
- Add the Pandanus/Kewra Jal(Water) and Rose Water:
- Now mix all the mixture thoroughly, trust me the good the mixing the better the taste as the spice and meat flavours will blend to give a great taste.
- Now keep it aside.
Note: The making of Kebab’s is an art and science and as its rightly said an art needs patience so do keep the marination for at least 5-6 hours.
- Now add the Bengal Gram Paste into the marinated meat mixture
- Now again thoroughly mix the meat mixture, almost like kneading a dough.
- To shape the kebab, take drops of ghee onto your palm and shape the meat mixture in the shape of a round patties
- Now keep the patties into a refrigerator so that the patty get set properly.
- Once the meat patties are set, take them out.
- Now heat a Pan(Tawa), add then add Ghee or Clarified Butter and heat it till the smokes come out.
- Now place the kebab onto the pan, cook one side till it becomes brown and then flip the side and cook it till it become brown.
The Tasting time:
- Place the hot Galouti Kebabs on a serving plate, sprinkle lemon juice
- Serve the Galouti Kebabs with Mint chutney/Coriander Chutney and chopped onions.
The Galwati Kebabs are rich & royale in taste, so get ready to put extra calories, trust me the Kebabs are tongue boggling, so do not worry to grab it, you can anytime to extra work out next day. 😛