India a land, where people are treated as God(Athiti’s Devo Bhava) has most diverse culture in the world. People from all parts of the world came to this land, lived and settled for years , they added their customs and traditions to the legacy of this country.
From Chinese to Italian, from Arabic to Iranian or British to Turkish each of the them influenced Indian culture. Food being most important part of life influenced the most
In all my earlier blogs talk about the place, food or recipe I always like to talk about its history and story
This time it was about the most fancy yet famous dish Keema Pav.
TNF-Pedia – Keema Pav:
Keema Pav is the most famous food of Mumbai metro city of the India. You can find this dish being served as street food and also in cafe’s specially the Irani’s Cafe. If we go behind in the history, the Pav was introduced in Indian Plates by Portuguese. The Portuguese when invaded Goa, missed their staple diet buns and bread, then when Mumbai was becoming the commercial hub this staple food traveled from Goa to Mumbai. The Pav was a universal pair with many other dishes like Missle, or egg.
Another amazing contribution was to pair Meat and Pav. Keema is the minced meat of lamb or chicken. The minced meat is cooked with various aromatic and spicy herbs. The spices gives a good flavor to the meat. It is served along with pav which can also be little pan fried. I guess minced meat is used as minced meat is easy to eat as compared to the large pieces and it can also be stuffed easily inside the pav while eating.
I have tried this amazing food in many restaurants and cafe’s, trust me my love and possessiveness increased on every encounter. 😛
And as you know I cant stop myself to learn about the recipe of the food I eat. So lets talk about the recipes.
Keema Pav Recipe
- Lamb(Minced Meat)/Keema: 1 kg
- Pav: 3-4 Packets
- Chopped Onions: 4
- Garlic and Ginger Paste: 4 tbsp
- Green Chilies: 4-5
- Chopped Tomatoes : 1
- Black Pepper Corns: 1 tbsp
- Bay Leaf ( Tej Patta): 1
- Green Cardamom: 4
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tbsp
- Cloves: 3-4
- Garam Masala
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder: 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tbsp
- Butter: 3-4 tbsp
- Clarified Butter: 2 tbsp
- Mustard Oil: 3-4 tbsp
- Curd : 1/2 cup
- Pav Bhaji Masala: 2 tbsp
- Seasoning with Thyme is optional
Click the one stop solution for you daily needs and requirements: Godrej Nature Basket
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan, now season it with bay leaf, green cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, green chillies
- Now add the chopped onions and cook till the onions turns brown, do not overcook the onions as it will give you a burnt flavors.
- Now add Ginger Garlic paste and stir properly as ginger has a tendency to stick on to the pan
- Now add minced meat, and fry till the rawness of the meat is over, then add the curd.
- Fry it for 5-10 min until meat starts changing colors.
- Now add all the powder spices
- Fry it till the meat leaves the oil, here you can start feeling the aroma of Keema and trust me you will increase your hunger. lollzzz…
- Now its the time to add tomatoes and cook on a high flame until the rawness of tomatoes disappears.
- Then add the garam masala and water for 15-20 mins and keep it for boil as here in its the time when meat will become tender.
- Now check when the oil starts floating on top, now increase the flame and singe the gravy to minimum as the keema is kept thick with less or no water.
- Now drop the clarified butter, it will enhance the taste of Keema
- Now turn of the fame and plate the keema and garnish as per your choice.
- Now take a flat pan and apply butter onto it, when the pan turn brown and smoke comes out of pan, then place the pav on to the pan. Let the pav toast and soak the butter.
Serve the keema and pav with salad of your choice; and eating keema pav without any rules as it can be eaten as side dish along with pav or can be stuffed between pav.
Enjoy Food !!!!!
Leave a Reply